Sunday Maintenance Fun
It seems like Sundays has become the day when I work on my motorcycle. Old motorcycles need to be attended to as little issues start to surface here and there. Hence, it is good that one be prepared to become hands on with them. For whatever reason, my mind will also think of some maintenance or improvement to do on the bike. So here’s the latest.
One week after the throttle body synchronization, the head lights started to become intermittent again. Sometimes the main light came on, sometimes it did not. Probably the left hand main beam / high beam toggle switch was having problems again.
When I did my throttle synchronization, I also saw that the foam at the ram air intake of the air box was falling apart. The engine heat and time has probably gotten to it and I thought of doing something about that.
On last small thing was that the one of double sided tape that holds the velcro tabs holding the head light protector was coming off and I wanted to replace that.
Start With the Easy Stuff First
The easiest thing to do would be to fix the head light protector first and that was what I did. After using various double sided tapes before, I recommend 3M’s double sided tapes for serious stuff. They cost at least double what other brands charge but are worth the money.
I used a 3M clear double sided tape which was thicker than the type we normally use in office, but it was really sticky and strong. After removing the plastic protector, I cleaned the head light surface and removed the residue of the old tape and attached the new one. Done in minutes.
As I have done this before, I thought that I would next repair the switch. Inside the switch assembly, part of the plastic tab has broken off before and I thought that this was probably the case again. I have repaired it previously with some eboxy and thought it might have broken again.
However, after opening the assembly and taking the switch out, I saw that it seemed fine. I re-broke the tab, cleaned it and re-glued it. I thought that the connection might not be so good due to a depression on the small copper plate due to years of contact with the other side.
Alas, the repair that I thought would be over in 10 mins took a little longer than I hoped. After re-gluing the tab, the head light was still intermittent and I did it a few more times without much success. That then took me down the wrong route where I thought that the connectors on the right of the fairing was causing problems again and the fairings came off and I started cleaning the contacts one by one. However, that didn’t solve the problem.
Upon even closer inspection and thinking a bit, I asked dad for help to fill in the depression with a bit of solder. With that added, I took a little needle file and filed it down a bit and flattened it. Once it was assembled together, the headlights came on. Job done.
Ram Air Sponge Seal Replacement
The sponge on the air box sits between the air box’s opening and the holes on the frame thereby making a kind of a seal for the ram air effect. Actually, I do not really think the ram air makes much of a difference at low speeds and maybe…just maybe a bit more power right at the top speed of the bike. However, really…how often has anyone reached that kind of speed? I have not even gotten close to that.
Anyway, I just wanted to fix this cos’ it should be fixed, but that is just me.
I searched around for a suitable sponge that I could cut into shape and stick on the air box intake. I thought of those dish washing sponges and then came across a denser kind of cleaning sponge. I have seen this sponge in action before. My wife used them to clean very stubborn stains and these really work removing little minute dirt without damaging the surface, but I am digressing.
I thought that the denser material might make a better seal against the frame and got them.
Removing the old sponge was easy as it was falling apart anyway. They were attached via a thin double sided tape. After cleaning them up, I took my 3M double sided tape and attached cut pieces of the sponge onto the air box opening. They stick kind of alright, but I later realised that the sponge material was a little “flaky”. Then I remembered that dusty micro bits of the sponge are worn off when I used them to clean surfaces at home. Perhaps that was why the 3M tape did not stick as well. Anyway, as they were staying on for now, I left it as that and stuck the airbox onto the bike.
I would like to tell you that with this $4 repair, the bike now produces double the bhp it did before and now cannot accelerate without popping wheelies in every gear. Well…nothing of that sort you understand.
That is all for now. Till I think of something else to fix, maintain, do, repair…on the bike. Actually I have already did something else. Cleaned the brake calipers front and rear, but did not take any photos to show.